Status report, milestones, quality improvements?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 01:32:09 PDT 2011

On 16/03/11 1:13 AM, jasonw wrote:
> A lot of work is going on around D. However I can't really fit the pieces together to see how everything works.
>
> Bad quality
> --------------
>
> One problem is the large amount of obsolete data ( http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmdfe )
>
> Dsource is The place for D projects...

dsource has become a bit of a graveyard since D2. I only go there to
stay up to date with Derelict.

github seems to be building up its number of D project however.

https://github.com/languages/D

> Status reports
> ------------------
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/roadmap is empty. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/future.html is totally uninformative. This is a really terrible joke. Where is the list of incompatibilities between TDPL and DMD/LDC/GDC? Why don't libraries come with [alpha], [beta], [stable] tags. It's hard to choose between 5 different implementations if you need to ask personally from the authors via IRC. Take a look at:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.7_Feature_Plan
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Extragear
>
> Where is the status reports of feature proposals?

Comparing D to KDE is a bit unfair due to the disparity in manpower, but
yes, documentation and direction are sorely missing from D. There's
still no good tutorials and I think the reason for that is because of
the poor documentation. No one knows how the language is supposed to
work, so they can't write tutorials!