Status report, milestones, quality improvements?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Mar 16 15:18:10 PDT 2011

"Caligo" <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2542.1300312871.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> IMO the idea of having something like dsource as the place for D projects
> is
> silly and is doomed to failure.  I think dsource's current state says it
> all.  The internet should be the place for D projects, not just one
> website.  Besides, there are sites that have been designed to do what
> dsource is trying to do.  If you want to share your D projects with rest
> of
> the world, use sites such as freshmeat, ohloh, github, gitorious,
> bitbucket,
> savannah, etc.  If the project is big enough, it could have it's own
> dedicated site.  Then maybe the main D site could link to some of the big
> projects on the internet.

Not a bad point, but there's four main things I like about dsource:

- Want to find D-related projects? It's a one-stop-shop.

- It allows people to file bug reports, feature requests, forum posts, etc
using a throwaway email address like mailinator. I like that not only as a
project user, but also as a project manager: I *don't* want to deny myself
feedback for such a stupid, petty reason as "The user wants to protect their
email address - so fuck them!".

- Aside from the project listing page (which, yes, is notably bad in it's
current state), it never requires JS for things that obviously don't
actually need JS. Again, I like this both as a site user *and* as a project
manager.

- It's fairly VCS-agnostic unline many (though admittedly not all) of the
popular OSS project hosting sites.