a cabal for D ?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Mar 17 14:16:27 PDT 2011

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 13:44:42 Jason E. Aten wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I observe that there doesn't appear
> to be a package management system / standard repository for D libraries.
> Or is there?
>
> I'm talking about something as easy to use as R's CRAN,
>
> > install.packages("rforest")
>
> or cpan for perl, ctan for latex, dpgk/apt for debian, cabal for Haskell/
> Hackage, etc.
>
> If there's not a commonly utilized one currently, perhaps we could
> "borrow" cabal, with a trivial port.  cabal is Haskell's package manager.
>
> Not only does having a standard package install system facilitate
> adoption, it greatly facilitates code sharing and library maturation.

D has nothing like that. Periodically someone will bring it up, but until
someone actually sits down and implements something, it doesn't look like it's
going to happen anytime soon. Like many things around here, it's only going to
get done if someone who really wants it done has both the time and the know-how
to do it (and then actually takes the time to do it). And that hasn't happened
yet.

- Jonathan M Davis