Library Development: What to finish/flesh out?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 17 19:57:02 PDT 2011

On 3/17/2011 8:33 AM, dsimcha wrote:
> 8.  GZip support in std.file:  I'll leave the stream stuff for someone else,
> but just simple stuff like read(), write(), append() IMHO belongs in std.file.
>   Completion state:  Not started, but this is the easiest of the bunch to
> implement.  (Phobos candidate)

I'd definitely like to see gzip support in Phobos. But it shouldn't be in
std.file, as there are many compression schemes in use besides gzip, and such
should be composable with the file interface using ranges.

In fact, gzip has nothing necessarily to do with files. It
compresses/decompresses a stream (a range in D). Whether that is a file or
something else is quite irrelevant to gzip. DMD, for example, uses a simple
compressor for long symbol names.

I suggest making a package for compressors, and then have gzip be a module
within that, as in:

    std.compressor.gzip