Pull requests for multiple issues?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Mar 18 08:12:59 PDT 2011

Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:59:54 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of converting my patches for various rdmd issues into
>> github pull requests, but being relatively new to DVCSes (longtime SVN
>> user here) I was wondering what's the "kosher" way to do it?:
>>
>> - A separate branch for each issue, with a pull request for each branch?
>>
>> - One branch with a separate commit for each issue, and a pull request
>> for each commit?
>>
>> - One branch with a separate commit for each issue, and a pull request
>> for the whole branch? If so, the root of the branch or the leaf of the
>> branch?
>
> You need a separate branch for each pull request.  Commits which depend
> on each other should of course be in a single branch.  Other than that, I
> would recommend creating a separate branch/pull req. for each issue.
> That way, if the patch for issue X isn't approved, the patches for Y and
> Z can still be merged in.
>
> -Lars

Cherry-picking works brilliantly in git. You don't need to worry about
that. I would say, it's perfectly fine for multiple simple commits (each
with 1-3 lines changed) to reside in the same branch.
Something that involves many changes, especially to multiple files,
should be in its own branch.
If you create multiple branches and pull requests, each for single-line
changes, you're just creating busywork.