a cabal for D ?

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:04:17 PDT 2011

2011/3/18 Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D at gmail.com>:
> Russel Winder Wrote:
>> At the expense of easy system administration.
> Specifics? It allows for one packaging system across all operating systems. This means you don't need to figure out how to package your source in RPM, Deb, ipgk, arc, emerge, zip, or whatever else Linux has.

For the developer, yes. For the user, it just means that you have to
learn N different packaging systems, which not uncommonly cause
conflicts, for instance in language-bindings conflicting with "native"
libraries.

I know of at least one company that were quite serious about migrating
their webapps from Java to Ruby/rails, but after a while cancelled due
to just those packaging issues with gems creating weird conflicts and
silent errors when bindings were complied slightly differently from
the native C-lib.

----
For the record, their apps were designed for deployment on Ubuntu
Server, which at the time had native support for almost all
Java-related packages, but less wide support for Ruby. The situation
have changed a little since then, and quite a lot of Ruby-packages are
now in native Ubuntu.