a cabal for D ?

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Mar 18 11:42:36 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 10:41 -0400, Jesse Phillips wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Otherwise I would be for using the native packaging system, but it
> isn't easy for the contributor, the maintainer of the server, or the
> one building a system that works with all of them.

The problem is that the system administrator wants to use just the OS
packaging system to make things easy for them to maintain the system.
The user wants to be able to install stuff easily and may not have
sufficient permissions to actually use the OS packaging system.  Sys
admins don't want to have to learn N packages to deal with N languages,
the use probably only works in a couple of languages and so doesn't care
if they have to learn two different packagin systems so as to get stuff
done.

This is not an easy issue.  I just find the knee-jerk reaction of "we
have this new language therefore we must have a brand new (build system|
packaging system|shell|implementation of every comms protocol|new user
interface library|operating system)" leads to too many distractions from
getting stuff done using the good tools that are already available.

I still think basing a D packaging system on Git to be the best
direction.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk