a cabal for D ?

Jason E. Aten j.e.aten at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 14:20:43 PDT 2011

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:42:36 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> I still think basing a D packaging system on Git to be the best
> direction.

Basing package distribution on Git or hg could be a big win, and would
help establish a customary case for revision control which is one of the
things that make cabal work so well (they use darcs for everything). I
find these revision control systems ver fast and very easy to use.

The other thing that cabal standardizes is the make/build system.  I've
updated bud/build to compile under D2, with all the latest patches, but
I'm far from convinced that it should be a make system of choice.  I have
limited experience here, but a "D aware" build system would seem to be
highly preferable.

What are people's experiences with the various options for build systems
with D?

To me, I like the design goals of Andreas Fredriksson's Tundra build
system (he wants speed of incremental of builds prioritized over all
else, which means utilizing multicores for builds as much as possible to
get the quickest build), because fast builds are critical for game
development, where D is very attractive.  Game projects compile tens of
thousands of files. Tundra is GPL and it would be easy to extend to
support D.

http://voodoo-slide.blogspot.com/2010/08/tundra-my-build-system.html
https://github.com/deplinenoise/tundra
https://github.com/deplinenoise/tundra/downloads