Trivial DMD fixes: GitHub pull requests vs. Bugzilla issues

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Mar 19 16:20:29 PDT 2011

On Saturday 19 March 2011 08:43:44 David Nadlinger wrote:
> For almost a month now, I have a trivial pull request open for DMD:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/10. It's only about
> adding the word »length« in two places to clarify the tuple
> out-of-bounds error message, so I didn't bother to open a ticket for it
> because I figured that it would only create unneeded administrative
> overhead for such a small change.
>
> However, given that the commit has not been merged yet: Walter, do you
> still prefer Bugzilla issues for this kind of patches?

Bugzilla is for tracking bugs. github is for tracking the source. So, in
general, I would expect bugs to be reported to bugzilla.  I would guess though,
that enhancement requests aren't quite as critical if you already have a patch
for them (though you're likely to get a better discussion on bugzilla if you
post enhancements there in addition to creating a pull request). However, given
that this sounds like a very small change, it's probably fine that it's just a
pull request - though, of courses, Walter would be better suited to say what
Walter would prefer.

Regardless, as I understand it, Walter has been a bit overwhelmed with pull
requests of late (you can check out the thread on dmd-internals about it:
http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/dmd-internals/2011-March/001293.html ), and
it's taking him some time to work through them. I expect that he'll get to your
pull request eventually.

- Jonathan M Davis