Quo vadis, D2? Thoughts on the D library ecosystem.

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Mar 19 16:50:44 PDT 2011

> Really, the problem is that someone needs to take the initiative on this. They
> need to work on setting it up and supporting the ecosystem which would result in
> a group of such projects. Good ideas tend to be presented around here and then
> go nowhere, because no one actually takes the initiative to do them. The
> "wouldn't this be a good idea?" tactic doesn't tend to get very far, even if
> everyone agrees, simply because someone has to put in the time and effort to do
> it, and while people may think that it's a good idea, there are only so many
> people working on Phobos and other D-related stuff, and there's a lot to be done,
> and everyone has something that they'd like to see done, and _that_ is what
> they're generally working on.

Words of the wise.

It's like hearing a woman for the laundry list of stuff she'd like in a
man and compare (and contrast) that with the kind of man she does
respond to. The "desirable stuff" list is built using a rational
response, whereas in reality it's the emotional response that guides
decisions. We hackers seem to use a similar process when deciding what
to work on :o).

That's in particular why we all know e.g. networking is a necessity, but
instead we work on various other stuff. The person who has an emotional
positive response for networking code hasn't showed up yet - or just has
in the person of Jonas.

Andrei