Quo vadis, D2? Thoughts on the D library ecosystem.

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Mar 20 03:52:35 PDT 2011

> On 03/20/2011 08:41 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > A proper incubator site/project would be _the_
> > place to go looking for D projects, and it would be properly managed so
> > that the state of each project was clear and dead/inactive projects
> > weren't in the way (be it because they're removed or put in an area
> > where such projects go and don't get in the way).
>
> I'm doubting about the idea of dead projects, because many seem to equal it
> to "no recent edit". But most highly used libs of most PLs are "dead" for
> a long while, according to this criterion, aren't they? They do the job
> (well or not) and rarely need further edition.

Exactly how all of that would be managed would have to be determined, but look
at dsource. How much of what's there is actually useable at this point? Now,
part of that is because the language has evolved, and part of that is because
much of it is D1, and if you're looking for D2 stuff, it does you no good. But
still, a lot of it is just cruft at this point.

"No recent changes" may or may not be a good criterion for whether a project
should be considered cruft or not, but projects which are not actually
useable, shouldn't be sitting around, claiming that they are. And it _is_
often the case that projects which aren't actively maintained are not useable.
So, projects would need to be cleaned out periodically. But projects which
continued to be useful should be kept, and projects which aren't should be
removed/archived.

Regardless, the exact policies on how projects should be managed in an
incubator project would have to be dealt with as part of the incubator
project, and as long is there is no incubator project, it's a non-issue.

- Jonathan M Davis