How to proceed now that D is accepted to GSoC?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 20 15:35:07 PDT 2011

On 3/20/2011 6:33 AM, Jens Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2011
> Digital Mars got accepted to GSoC 2011.
>
> On the above mentioned page Digital Mars is ranked in the second table
> because the organization profile has not been completed yet. Maybe the
> name can also be changed. Because for an outsider Digital Mars is maybe
> not known. So something with D Programming Language should be better.
>
> Students are now supposed to submit/discuss project proposals (see
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GSOC_2011_Ideas for some ideas). You
> can propose new project ideas. Later you need to apply with the project
> until the 8th of April.
>
> As it seems Google will decide after the students applications deadline
> and ranking by the mentoring organization how many students will be
> allocated to an organization.
>
> Jens

One clarification about GSoC:  Do they expect a full-time or near
full-time commitment from applicants, or is it reasonable to do a GSoC
project at night/on weekends while doing "normal" Ph.D. thesis work
during the day?  I had thought that GSoC was only for undergrads and
just found out grad students are allowed to apply.  I definitely cannot
work full time on my project, but I doubt I would need to either.
Therefore, I'm **halfway** (emphasis added) thinking of applying for
either the containers or garbage collection project.