Word Tearing: Still a practical problem?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Mar 21 17:22:39 PDT 2011

"dsimcha" <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:im8pu5$1921$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 3/21/2011 7:55 PM, nedbrek wrote:
>>
>> The main architectures (x86 and ARM) are both byte granular.  Most
>> embedded
>> platforms are also byte granular.  Alpha is the only architecture I am
>> aware
>> of that had this problem.  Possibly other old/high performance ones...
>> (Cray, 360, etc.)
>>

> Excellent.  I highly doubt we care about std.parallelism working on
> embedded platforms.  (Who the heck has a multicore embedded CPU anyway?)

Parallax's Propeller microcontroller has 8 cores. But it's so low-memory
that I doubt D would be appropriate for it. Someone did manage to make a C
compiler for it, but even that involved some compromises (although not as
many as the Propeller's built-in SPIN language).