a cabal for D ?

Jonas Drewsen jdrewsen at nospam.com
Tue Mar 22 04:03:47 PDT 2011

On 17/03/11 21.44, Jason E. Aten wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I observe that there doesn't appear
> to be a package management system / standard repository for D libraries.
> Or is there?
>
> I'm talking about something as easy to use as R's CRAN,
>> install.packages("rforest")
>
> or cpan for perl, ctan for latex, dpgk/apt for debian, cabal for Haskell/
> Hackage, etc.
>
> If there's not a commonly utilized one currently, perhaps we could
> "borrow" cabal, with a trivial port.  cabal is Haskell's package manager.
>
> Not only does having a standard package install system facilitate
> adoption, it greatly facilitates code sharing and library maturation.

It seems quite a few people are interested in such a tool. I suggest
that those who are interested in the subject form some kind of SIG and
creates a page on http://prowiki.org/wiki4d with ideas, insights,
requirements that the rest of the community can follow. I think
discussions still need to be done in this newsgroup though.

This means that someone will actually need to implement something or
modify an existing solution at some point for it to make sense. But
initially we need to settle on something that "everybody" would be happy
with and would support as the standard tool if possible.

I'm willing to throw in some time implementing it when the curl stuff
that I'm currently working on is done. Hopefully others can put some
work in this tool as well to get things rolling.

Anyone think this is a good idea?

Should I create a SIG page?

/Jonas