What To Do About Shared?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 21:48:05 PDT 2011

On 3/23/2011 12:36 AM, Graham St Jack wrote:
> Sounds good in principal.
>
> I assume that category a code could be @trusted, and that category b and
> c must not be @trusted.

Right, except for the subset of category C code that does make guarantees.

> I agree that trying to use the language to discriminate between category
> b and c would be too tricky, especially when you consider the subtleties
> of what is shared and what is not. Documentation is the only viable
> option there.
>
> Are these static checks feasible, and if so, what are the chances of
> getting them into the language anytime soon?

The static checks I'm referring to already are in the language, but are
dependent on the threading library that's being used enforcing them.
std.concurrency does, making it category a.  core.thread does not,
making it category b.  std.parallelism does only for a few @trusted and
@safe functions, making it category c.