What To Do About Shared?

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 06:09:10 PDT 2011

dsimcha Wrote:

> Some discussions about std.parallelism have prompted an examination of
> how far D's guarantees against low level data races should extend and
> how safety and practicality should be balanced.

I didn't follow the review of std.parallelism, can you give some specific examples?

Users of languages look to standard libraries as a model for how to write their own apps. I don't like your proposal and think std.parallelism should use shared properly. I'd like to understand better what your issues with shared were. I've done a descent amount of shared-correct code, so I'm pretty sure it's usable. In fact, the only really nasty bug I had could have been caught if std.thread had been shared-correct...