Pretty please: Named arguments

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Mar 23 09:21:17 PDT 2011

On 23/03/2011 16:12, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

> But for bigger changes (in fact even for smaller ones as well) it might
> be worthwhile to use an IDE tool, because it can offer a lot of help in
> navigation and other stuff related to reviewing the code. I mean, the
> named arguments only address a very limited problem in reviewing code:
> it only tells you which parameter corresponds each argument. But what if
> you need to read the function's documentation to know or remind yourself
> what the function does, if the arguments have correct values, respect
> the contract, etc.? You'll likely need to open the function declaration
> in any case, in one way or another.

Actually... what if you want to make sure it compiles? Or to run unit
tests? Or just run and test it manually? You can't do any of those on
the web.
If you are just commenting on changes it might be fine, but if you are
the one approving the code changes, I can hardly see how you can escape
those tasks above (other than for very simple one-line changes), and
thus the use of local tools.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer