Pretty please: Named arguments

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:33:29 PDT 2011

Am 24.03.2011 07:36, schrieb Bekenn:
> On 3/23/2011 9:12 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>>
>> Now that is an argument. Although I still don't agree: it really
>> shouldn't take that long to setup an IDE (if Netbeans and/or its PHP
>> plugin are crappy, don't use that to blame all IDEs :P ). But in any
>> case this is kinda besides the point, because setting up an IDE is a
>> one-time affair (reviewing code is many-times).
>
> There is far more cost involved in using an IDE than the setup time. A
> typical IDE will:
>
> - Consume a relatively large chunk of space. Visual Studio on my system
> takes up 1.9 GB, with one of the platform SDKs taking up an additional
> 565 MB. XCode on my other system eats up a whopping 9.7 GB (!) with the
> iOS SDK (the download for XCode 4 with iOS SDK 4.3 is 4.2 GB for the
> .dmg file). Eclipse puts them both to shame at 268 MB for Eclipse
> Classic, with the JDK adding 179 MB on top of that. (I only use Eclipse
> for Android development, so I haven't installed anything beyond the base
> classic package.) For D development, I use Notepad++, which is just an
> editor -- 11.8 MB (plus 105 MB for dmd and associated tools).

9,7GB is pretty much.. but how much of that is iOS SDK stuff?
However: Eclipse is pretty bloated and still only uses <300MB in your
configuration..
And in times of multiple Terabyte Harddisks a few hundred MBs (or even a
2-3GBs) for an IDE is not really a problem.

> - Hijack file extensions. I have several versions of Visual Studio
> installed that all cooperate very nicely with each other, but if I were
> to install Eclipse for C/C++ development, I'd have to remember to tell
> it not to take over handling for .c/.cpp files. This isn't such a big
> deal if the IDE only handles one or two languages, but if it's a
> multi-language IDE, then there may be a list of twenty or more file
> types to scroll through, assuming that the installer is even nice enough
> to let you choose.

This can happen with normal text editors as well and is more an issue of
crappy IDEs that do this stuff without asking you than with IDEs in general.

> - Have its own shortcuts, features, and quirks. In Visual Studio, I can
> hit tab to confirm intellisense suggestions. If I do the same thing in
> Eclipse, then I end up shifting focus over to the documentation popup
> window, which is just maddeningly stupid. XCode doesn't give me a list;
> it just inserts its suggestion inline, and then I have to either hit
> escape or keep typing if I want something else entirely. (XCode's
> suggestions also seem to be highly non-deterministic in nature; I think
> their algorithm would make for a great prng.) Build in Visual Studio is
> F7. In Eclipse, it's ctrl-b, which at least matches XCode's cmd-b. This
> can be mitigated in most cases by changing key bindings, but now you're
> looking at either a short list of commands that can be changed (which
> might not include the command you're looking for), or a very, *very*
> long list with hundreds of commands that you have to wade through.
> What's more, you have to figure out what name the IDE gives to the
> feature you're looking for, and it may not always be clear. Eclipse
> provides a search bar to make it easier; good thing, too, because typing
> "content assist" into that bar gives me back *21 different entries*!

The same happens with normal editors, vi and emacs have totally
different shortcuts.

Cheers,
- Daniel