Free Software needs Free Documentation

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:10:06 PDT 2011

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html

I think this applies directly to D2.

Note: this post is no offence to Andrei's great work. Just a report we /also/
need a free/copyleft D2 manual; or that TDPL's content becomes free in a short
while. Even more since TDPL was kind of a premature publication, describing
not-yet-implemented, even less validated, features. Online addenda /
corrections / rewritings cannot fill the gap.
Unfortunately, our society's culture is such that people will rarely *buy* a
free-like-in-freedom book to thank authors and allow them going on working for
the community. This nearly forces people who wish to get something back from
their (usually huge) work to publish in a proprietary way; for software, even
more PLs, making frozen manuals for live tools, and making improvements impossible.

Denis