[GSOC] more ideas

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Mar 24 16:26:41 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-24 15:04:45, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On 3/24/11 10:31 PM, Kagamin wrote:
> >> The first step would be to examine if MinGW's tools could be used.
> >
> > No way. They're GPL.
>
> So?

I wouldn't think that the GPL would be a problem for build tools. It (and
LGPL) _is_ a problem for libraries, but you're not linking with tools or
generally doing anything with their code. You're just using them. So, I
wouldn't think that the GPL would be a problem. dmd's front-end is licensed on
the GPL. Phobos, on the other hand, is licensed under Boost (except for a few
older modules which haven't been replaced or relicensed yet). There's a big
difference between a tool and a library with regards to how licenses affect
them.

- Jonathan M Davis