D and file names

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Mar 25 04:38:55 PDT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:27:10 +0200, Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk>
wrote:

> - is a perfectly valid character in a file name, well on Posix compliant
> systems anyway.  The question is why D, aping Java, imposes restrictions
> when there is no need.

Lacking a module declaration as is your case, what would the
auto-generated module name be? I'd reckon it'd be pretty much always not
what the programmer expected. Allowing symbols like - in module names
would complicate parsing, I'd imagine.

> The real irritant for me is that the file in question has one function,
> main,  there is nothing to do with modules going on here.

The compiler doesn't know that that module will never be imported by
anything. What's the problem with adding a module declaration?

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net