GSoC-2011 project:: Containers

Ishan Thilina ishanthilina at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 07:55:27 PDT 2011

@ steve & Johannes: Yeah, it works for me now :). I informed the site owners about
this and he has rectified it :)

@Denis:

>You are right, indeed. To say it shortly, ranges are D's version of iterators or
generators, especially powerful and general. With its own set of issues (somewhat
>complicated, rather opaque types, various bugs remaining), but globally extremely
useful and usable. Most of Phobos2 (the std lib) builds on ranges; this applies
even >more to collections: if you wish to implement new collections for D, it is
certainly required that they hold range factories for iteration. Sometimes, more
than one (eg >tree traversal breadth-first vs depth-first, leaves only...).

>About D collections: aside std.container in Phobos, Steven Schweighoffer has a
fairly advanced project called dcollections:
http://www.dsource.org/projects>/dcollections. As I understand it, it is a bit of
a concurrent for std.container, but there seems to be a possibility for them to
converge in the future. In >any case, >you should definitely study it, if only to
take inspiration and avoid double work.

>Use the D learn mailing list to ask people for help in understanding D's more
advanced features and issues.

>Denis
>--

Thank you very much for that helpful answer.
The biggest challenge now i have is to find good resources to learn about ranges.
Any suggestions ?

I'll look at the dcollections. I didn't know such a thing existed. It will be a
great help for me :).