"body" keyword is unnecessary

piotrek starpit at tlen.pl
Fri Mar 25 14:40:54 PDT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:09:25 +0100, Don wrote:

> piotrek wrote:

>>> What's the steering group?
>>
>> I think you belong there. :) Along with Walter, Andrei, Brad and Sean.
>> Of course support of  David, Steven, Lars and Jonathan and the whole
>> community is invaluable. :)
>
> Walter makes all the language decisions. The rest of us have just been
> able to convince him on multiple occasions (but I think that even Andrei
> has not achieved 50% convince rate). Hint #1: if you want to convince
> Walter, produce some real world use cases. Hint #2: you've got more
> chance if you make a patch, but ONLY if you've satisfied hint 1.

The way the D is managed (in term of language specification) is the key to
its success. Walter is like a solid rock. e.g. If he did what bearophile
suggests (respect for his work for polishing D) it would be a disaster ;)

BTW.
I think it would be great if I fall into compiler mechanics, but don't see
any chances in the nearest future.

>>> I raised this exact topic before, with the title "my body is ugly"
>>> <g>. It's a very silly keyword. It's just a comment, really /*body*/.
>>
>> What stops Walter from removing it? If it was me, the next dmd release
>> would have one keyword less ;) (Forget for a while that I'm not
>> familiar with the dmd code)
>
> Priorities. If you spend any time on 'body', that's time taken away from
> fixing important bugs. The potential benefit is *tiny*. There are 1000
> bugs that are more important.

So true. You know, after writing my posts I felt guilty because it could be
rated as arrogant. I really appreciate Walter's work and didn't want
to make any pressure on him (like I could ;). I'm grateful for him for all
amazing staff he did. D is the most beautiful language I have seen. It
has its pitfalls, but we know there can't be any perfect one. For now we
can live with our "body" :)
Speaking of real world examples(is my world really real? :D)
I hit "body" when I was doing an html generator. Long before that when
I was reading language specification I looked with distaste at the "body"
keyword in the contract programming section. Still no big deal.

Cheers,
Piotrek