"body" keyword is unnecessary

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 25 15:15:00 PDT 2011

On 3/25/2011 2:09 AM, Don wrote:
> Walter makes all the language decisions. The rest of us have just been able to
> convince him on multiple occasions (but I think that even Andrei has not
> achieved 50% convince rate). Hint #1: if you want to convince Walter, produce
> some real world use cases. Hint #2: you've got more chance if you make a patch,
> but ONLY if you've satisfied hint 1.

Nobody would like it if I was easy to convince. There are multiple language
change suggestions here *every day*. Day after day, that adds up to a
frightening number.

To make a language change stick, it has to have a large benefit divided by its
cost. Costs for even small changes can be huge - implementation, testing,
documentation, tutorials, books, existing code base, distraction from other
issues, instability, regressions, etc.

> Priorities. If you spend any time on 'body', that's time taken away from fixing
> important bugs. The potential benefit is *tiny*. There are 1000 bugs that are
> more important.

Right. I'm currently working on the temp destruction problem. While not sexy or
even particularly visible, it not working right has serious deleterious
consequences.