[GSOC] Database API

Masahiro Nakagawa repeatedly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:44:06 PDT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 02:48:14 +0900, Christian Manning
<cmanning999 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a second year student at De Montfort University studying Computer
> Science. I am very much interested in working on the database API idea
> that is proposed at
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GSOC_2011_Ideas#DatabaseAPI (I was
> also quite interested in the containers idea, but it looks like someone
> else wants to do that)
>
> I have limited experience with database libraries but have begun to
> study the JDBC API (in my small amount of spare time only as term
> doesn't finish for another 2 weeks for me and I still have assignments).
>
> Has this idea/project been assigned a mentor? I'd like to ask them and
> the list, what's the best thing for me to do right now to prepare for
> this?

Currently, many databases exist.

* SQL based: MySQL, PostgresSQL, SQLite, etc..
* KVS: Cassandra, HBase, Kumofs, Redis, etc...
* Document Oriented: MongoDB, CouchDB, etc...

I think next Database API should support these types.
AFAIK, DDBI supports only SQL based interface.

In Ruby, Rails 3 has Arel.
Arel seems to be a good query abstraction.

https://github.com/rails/arel

Arel's concept may help you :)

Masahiro