GCC 4.6

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 11:49:36 PDT 2011

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound2 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> On 3/28/2011 9:09 AM, Caligo wrote:
> > I've been doing a lot of coding in D in the past few weeks, and one
> > thing I've noticed is that performance is not great.  Surprisingly,
> > DMD generated binaries perform worse than GDC's, but even GDC is
> > lagging behind equivalent code written in C++ and compiled with G++.
> > Are we to expect performance to improve as more work is done on GDC?
> There is no technical reason why performance should be worse. It's a matter of
> investing the time and effort into the code generation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some important optimizations (like inlining)
are performed in the front end.  It's pretty obvious that DMD's inliner needs
improvement, though I agree with Walter's decision to prioritize this below fixing
major bugs, 64 support and (before that) finalizing the spec.  Therefore, the
performance of GDC is still a quality of implementation issue rather than a
fundamental technical issue.