GCC 4.6

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Mar 28 12:22:32 PDT 2011

On 3/28/2011 11:49 AM, dsimcha wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some important optimizations (like inlining)
> are performed in the front end.  It's pretty obvious that DMD's inliner needs
> improvement, though I agree with Walter's decision to prioritize this below fixing
> major bugs, 64 support and (before that) finalizing the spec.  Therefore, the
> performance of GDC is still a quality of implementation issue rather than a
> fundamental technical issue.

By fundamental technical issue, I mean things like Python's numeric types which
require runtime testing for every operation, and are very resistant to known
techniques of optimization.

D's perf problems have known causes that are not faults in the language, but are
fixable in the compiler using known techniques. It's just a matter of priorities
and manpower.

In fact, D has many attributes that offer the potential for significantly better
code generation than C/C++. They've just not been exploited yet.