Managing the review queue

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Mon Mar 28 12:47:13 PDT 2011

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:32:44 -0400, bearophile wrote:

> Walter:
>
>> I have thought in the past about putting such modules into another
>> package, call it "foo" for lack of a better name, and put it in the dmd
>> distribution. If the package pans out in real life, then move it to
>> std. So, yes, I think your idea is a good one.
>
> It's a nice idea. Possible names: "std.experimental", "std.unstable" or
> "std.minefield" :-)

Personally I like the experimental/incubator idea (though it had better
not get a 'std' prefix!). I'm not sure the D community is large enough to
support a more formal review process (yet).

> In Python there is kind of built-in namespace named "future" that you
> import as module, it contains even new basic language features in
> testing (like integer division!). I'd like the same in D2 too, for
> experimental features.

I don't see the connection. '__future__' in Python isn't for experimental
features, nor is it for introducing stdlib changes. It's a way to 'import'
language features which become standard in later releases.

For example, as you know, the 'print' statement becomes a function in
Python 3.0, but you can disable the print statement in Python 2.6+ via
'from __future__ import print_function'.

Graham