i like cakes

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Mar 29 08:22:15 PDT 2011

On 03/29/2011 07:14 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 28/03/2011 10:03, Alix Pexton wrote:
>> try this?
>>
>> Dealing with Internet Trolls - the Cognitive Therapy Approach
>> http://unarmed.shlomifish.org/909.html
>>
>> A...
>>

> Ha, I saw that article recently, I think it may work for overly excited
> fanboys, or for people involved in a flame war, but not for trolls. In
> other words I think it only works for people honest with their
> intentions (even if very emotional about it), but not with people
> deliberately spreading confusion, FUD, or just getting a kick out of
> being a troll.

(Disclaimer: I only skimmed it.) That must deal with the emotional
reaction to trolling, but I have none. The only issue is that one
individual is manipulating the system at reddit to spread
disinformation. In addition, he is obsessively following Walter and
finding fault with every word he says. We just need a principled
approach to solving this problem. (When I'll find some time I'll do some
stylometry - I'll create a language model from iliekcaeks' past texts
and run it through parametricpoly's text. The styles are extremely
similar and a language model will catch that. If the obtained perplexity
is low, then that is indicative of socket puppetry. Not that that would
be an Earth-shattering discovery :o).)

I posted this last night in
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/gcmj1/digital_mars_aka_the_d_programming_language/:

=====
Registration is open for students starting today. Apply at the same
location. We already have a strong lineup of mentors, projects, and
students, and we're always looking for more. Good luck!
=====

When I downvote a post, I do so if it's factually incorrect or trolling.
By that standard one would hardly find the above off-topic inside a
thread about D's participation to GSoC 2011. Yet this morning the post
was buried at the end of the thread with 13 downvotes canceling 14
upvotes. This is particularly cynical because at the end of the day it's
about some students making some money through the summer working on
something they find fun. If e.g. the competing language Go would have a
summer of code proposal and discussion, I'd find it heinous of me to try
to make that information disappear or otherwise drive people away.

Also, the GtkD announcement I made last night was deleted. I just
emailed moderators about it. Leaving aside the fact that I'm doing what
the authors of GtkD ought to be doing, I suspect moderators would
automatically or semi-automatically delete a post if 10-20 users would
click on "spam" for it. It's possible some socket puppets have been hard
at work last night.

Andrei