GSoC-2011 project:: Containers

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Mar 29 14:33:51 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-29 12:32, spir wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 08:34 PM, Ishan Thilina wrote:
> >> I can try to answer your questions, but I have not applied to be an
> >> official mentor.  Just want to make that clear.
> >>
> >> My previous message was "I would be a mentor for this, but (reasons why
> >> I will not)"
> >>
> >> Sorry if that is not what you read.
> >>
> >> -Steve
> >
> > That's ok, You have given me enough encouragement to carry on this
> > project. :-)

> > people different expectations from this project. But it is hard to make
> > everyone happy. (Me my self being new to will need more time to get
> > familiar with the advanced concepts of D.) So I want to know what are
> > the containers that you hope me to implement in phobos?
>
> I have in mind a general Tree & Node, or TreeNode idea; especially
> implementing all common tree traversal schemes (including leaves only) and
> the background mechanisms to insert/remove/change given nodes and
> search/count/replace given values. It may not be used as is --because
> various tree kinds actually are very different-- but could be highly
> useful, I guess, either as template or as supertype to be derived from.
> Comments? (I would probably do it anyway.)

I'm not sure that what you're describing would really be appropriate for
std.container. It sounds like what you want isn't really a container but
rather the building blocks for a container.

What really need at this point is more of the basic container types that your
average standard library has. We only really have a vector/ArrayList type
(Array), a singly-linked list (SList), and a red-black tree (RedBlackTree). I
think that the only thing that we really have in std.container beyond those is
BinaryHeap which seems to be more of a container wrapper than a proper
container.

The fancier stuff would be nice, but we don't even have a doubly-linked list
yet. We should get the simpler stuff sorted out before we get particularly
fancy, not to mention that it's usually the simple stuff that gets heavily
used.

- Jonathan M Davis