GCC 4.6

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Mar 29 16:04:04 PDT 2011

On 3/29/11 4:37 PM, so wrote:
[snip]
> I find his posts among the most informative.

I don't meant to offend anyone here but I think it's worth making a
point for your benefit and others'. If you are interested in programming
language theory, probably there are better sources of information to
use. Though I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert, my masters
thesis was on programming language theory, which gives me some amount of
perspective. "Cargo culture" would be a gross exaggeration, but much of
the knowledge disseminated by bearophile is superficially absorbed
literature that is served back semi-digested along with a hodge-podge of
personal opinions of various degrees of correctness.

The only reason I felt compelled to make this point is the (now obvious)
risk in taking such posts as a good source of information. It is is
dangerous to take non-critically the occasional enormity that sneaks in.
That's why I suggested in the past and am suggesting it again - please
don't feign expertise as some may actually fall for it.

I have no doubt great personal improvement has been made in the past
years, but the tone is still an octave above what it could be at its best.

Thanks,

Andrei