GSoC-2011 project:: Containers

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Mar 29 16:55:34 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-29 14:50, dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from Jonathan M Davis (jmdavisProg at gmx.com)'s article
>
> > The fancier stuff would be nice, but we don't even have a doubly-linked
> > list yet. We should get the simpler stuff sorted out before we get
> > particularly fancy, not to mention that it's usually the simple stuff
> > that gets heavily used.
>
> For the most part I agree, but a doubly linked list might be **too**
> simple. Linked lists are so trivial to implement that I'd tend to roll my
> own that does exactly what I need with regard additional behavior on
> insertion, etc. rather than wrapping a library solution to get these
> features.

A doubly-linked list is on the list of containers that every standard library
should have or it's likely to be considered lacking. I can understand rolling
your own for specific uses, but _I_ sure don't want to be doing that if I
don't have to. If I want a doubly-linked list, I want to be able to just
create a standard one and use it. C++, C#, and Java all have doubly-linked
lists in their standard libraries.

If no one else ever implements a doubly-linked list for Phobos, I'll probably
do it eventually simply because it's one of the containers that is on the
short list of containers that pretty much every standard library has.

- Jonathan M Davis