Review of std.net.isemail part 2

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 30 01:49:32 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-30 01:27, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 3/30/11 1:30 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> > Jacob Carlborg Wrote:
> >> I've made a few minor changes:
> >>
> >> * Renamed EmailStatusCode.Off ->  None and On ->  Any
> >> * Added and clarified the documentation for EmailStatusCode.Any and None
> >> * Updated the documentation
> >>
> >> Github: https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/phobos/tree/isemail
> >> Docs: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18386187/isemail.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> /Jacob Carlborg
> >
> > I believe enum values are to be named lowercase first.
> > EmailStatusCode.any
>
> I don't know what the style guide says about enum members but if that's
> the case I'll change the names to begin with lowercase.

All names are camelcased. All type names begin with an uppercase letter, and
all variables begin with a lowercase letter (with the possible exception of
private member variables beginning with _ - but what's private to a class or
struct isn't as critical as the public API regardless). enum values fall in
the same camp as variables.

We don't really have an actual document anywhere that lays out the style.
Andrei has resisted the idea, though I don't think that he's entirely against
it, so unfortunately, I don't think that there's currently anywhere that you
can look it up. Discussions of the newsgroups have made the decisions on the
naming conventions clear though, at least as long as you've paid attention and
remember them, which obviously isn't going to happen for newer folks on the
list, and unless you're regularly writing Phobos code and making sure that you
follow the appropriate conventions, it's probably not all that hard to forget
them if they're not what you'd do anyway.

In any case, enum values follow the same style as normal variables -
camelcased, beginning with a lowercase letter.

- Jonathan M Davis