State of std.container redesign

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 30 11:35:29 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-30 10:52, Ishan Thilina wrote:
> >The main thing was that all of the containers would become classes rather
> >than structs which used reference counting. RedBlackTree has already been
> >changed (in git), but the others haven't been yet.
>
> Hi, I'm the one who is interested in the GSoC project "Containers". Should
> the containers that I ( or anyone who gets eligible to do the project )
> implement be based on structs or classes?

They should all be final classes. It was already the design that all container
types should have reference semantics, but Andrei tried to implement them
initially as structs with reference semantics using ref counting, and that ran
into problems, so it was decided to just make them all final classes. That
way, inlining is still possible (thanks to final), and they're quite clearly
reference types.

- Jonathan M Davis