Review of std.net.isemail part 2

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 30 12:47:06 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-30 11:15, Don wrote:
> Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:

> >> Hardly. The only examples I could find were algorithm: SwapStrategy,
> >> SortOutput
> >> range: traverseOptions, SearchPolicy
> >> There are many more which use other conventions, in other modules.
> >
> > I don't intend to start a big debate about this, but I don't think you
> > looked very hard.  All of the modules I mentioned follow the camelCase
> > convention, and as far as I can tell, none have public enums that follow
> > other conventions.
> >
> > std.algorithm: OpenRight, EditOp, SwapStrategy, SortOutput
> >
> > std.datetime: Month, DayOfWeek, AllowDayOverflow, Direction, PopFirst,
> > AutoStart
> > std.file: SpanMode
> >
> > std.getopt: config (actually not conventional, should be Config, but its
> > members are still camelCased)
> >
> > std.range: StoppingPolicy, TransverseOptions, SearchPolicy
> >
> > std.stdio: KeepTerminator
> >
> >> Note that manifest constants (eg, enum int XXX = value;) are completely
> >> different to enumerated types (eg, enum XXX { AAA, BBB, CCC } ) They're
> >> using a keyword in common, but they're quite different concepts.
> >
> > I think a sensible rule is that types (and templates that evaluate to
> > types) start with a capital letter, while values (and functions/templates
> > that evaluate to values) are camelCased.
> >
> > -Lars
>
> The point is this: we do NOT have a style guide.
> We have consensus on a few things. Types start with a capital letter.
> Functions are camelCased. Many other things haven't actually been
> discussed and agreed to.
>
> Note that simplistic rules are doomed to failure. For example, template
> aliases can be either values or types.
>
> Also, any attempt to use precedent is a disaster since Phobos began as a
> complete mishmash of styles. In some cases people erroneously believed
> there was a convention, and attempted to adhere to it, even though no
> such convention existed.
>
> We desperately need a style guide containing all the things which have
> actually been agreed to (and equally importantly, nothing which hasn't).
> The simplest thing to do would be to fix up the existing one on the
> website which nobody follows.

I've tried to get Andrei to agree to a style guide a few times, but he's
generally pushed back on it. I definitely think that we should have one if we
want to actually have a consistent style, but thus far, he hasn't agreed to
have one. I don't think that he's entirely against it, but we do keep running
into issues where someone codes something one way and Andrei and/or others
expect it to be another and are unhappy that it is (e.g. the 80 character line
limit).

We don't need anything super strict or which specifies everything in insane
detail, but basic style guidelines would definitely be a good thing to have.
Maybe I should just put one together and post it on the Phobos list for
discussion.

- Jonathan M Davis