[GSOC] Container Project

Ian Bishop bishop14 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 21:39:42 PDT 2011

Hi,

My name is Ian Bishop and I'm a 4th year BCS student at the University of New Brunswick. I'm interested
in the GSOC Project of working on containers for D. This sort of project is right up my alley, my major is
Theory and Computation and I have taken related courses such as data structures, algorithms, compiler
construction and programming language theory.

I realize there's already another student interested in working on this stuff. Is the project taken or is
there room for one more?

Either way, I have a few questions about the project itself:

What kind of data structures are most wanted (or needed)? There seems to be a lot of discussion in the
implementation supposed to be a permanent replacement for a proper map or is this also required in
practice?

For more abstract types, such as stacks, are these intended to be implemented as concretely or using
container adapters as they are in the STL?

What about the stuff over at <http://www.dsource.org/projects/dcollections>? It's licensed under Boost,
I haven't looked at it too hard but it seems like some of this stuff would be a good fit for the
std.container. Is there any reason (other than lack of time/resources) that this hasn't been done?

Thanks for your time,

Ian