Ceylon language

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue May 3 08:52:35 PDT 2011

On 13/04/2011 13:34, bearophile wrote:
> The first description of the Ceylon language, designed for business computing (for large teams developing multi-user applications) and meant to replace Java, from Red Hat, that will run on the Java Virtual Machine itself:
> http://blog.talawah.net/2011/04/gavin-king-unviels-red-hats-top-secret.html
>
> About the language (very slow download):
> http://www.qconbeijing.com/download/Gavin%20keynote.pdf
> About the its type system:
> http://www.qconbeijing.com/download/Gavin%20session.pdf

Hum, I saw this Ceylon stuff posted on Slashdot, and I've finally gotten
around to taking a look at it. I don't have yet an opinion of the
language as a whole, but I do like some of things they did or are
thinking about. Namely, that they are extending or changing the type
system, and not just to put in non-nullable types (which is quite simple
to do), but going much further than that: looking at generics,
covariance in generics  (and in the process placing the immutability of
collections in the type system instead of the runtime), being able to
specify all possible subclasses of a class, union types, etc.
Interesting ideas.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer