too early for D2 and too late for D1

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 20:14:13 PDT 2011

On 5/3/2011 10:58 PM, Jerry wrote:
> What I do expect is that D will make it significantly easier to write
> and maintain this fast code.  That is worth quite a bit.  Developer time
> is important even when writing high-performance code.

+1000.  IMHO one of D's biggest accomplishments is how far it pushes the
ability to write fast code and write code fast in the same language.  In
fact, that's the single biggest reason I use it.  Even if current
implementations aren't quite as fast as C++, they're a lot faster than
probably anything else with similar productivity.  Equivalently, D is
probably a lot more productive than anything with similar performance.

BTW, yes, I know Java and C# can be pretty fast sometimes.  The problem
is that they both have abstractions you can't get beneath in your most
performance-critical code.  If you're writing code from scratch (as
opposed to something that would benefit from tons of libraries that D
doesn't have yet), I also think they're not as productive because they
don't make metaprogramming easy.