C++ static analysis

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sat May 7 04:04:54 PDT 2011

> Timon Gehr:
>
>> I think it might be a
>> good idea though. However, having this feature means requiring one AST compare for
>> every boolean operator.
>
> You are worried about compilation time. I think the feature we're talking about
just tests the equivalence of the then/else clauses.

> Clang has a --analyze switch that runs the (potentially slow) static analyser,
otherwise it performs a normal amount of static test on the code. This gives you
choice between a faster compilation and a slower analysis able to find some other
bugs.

> Bye,
> bearophile

I think Walter does not like introducing new switches, because it doubles the
number of compilers to test and maintain.

Timon