dmd2 on Ubuntu

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 7 12:53:55 PDT 2011

On 5/7/2011 12:03 PM, Brian Myers wrote:
> So I removed the executables from /usr/local/bin and rather than adding them
> to my path, I sym linked them to the dmd2/linux/bin directory in my home
> directory. I did this because I'd like to have the compiler and tools
> available system wide. I then moved the dmd.conf file from /etc to the
> linux/bin directory where dmd resides.
>
> When I do this I get different messages from dmd, but it still can't make ld
> find -lphobos2. The two messages I get, however, are:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libphobos2.a when searching for
> -lphobos2
>
> The other message is also about libphobos2.a, it's just finding it relative
> to the gcc library path.
>
> I even extracted all the object files from libphobos2.a and verified that
> they were 64 bit ELF format. Is it really that libphobos2.a is messed up, or
> is this message a red herring?

There is a libphobos2.a that is 32 bit, and one that is 64 bit. Make sure that
you're using one that is compatible with the -m32 or -m64 settings you're using
with the compiler.

Also, please use dmd.conf, which contains a switch to shut off undesired warning
messages from ld.

I strongly suggest trying the default install, making sure that works, before
modifying it for your own needs.