Google Code Jam 2011 Language Usage

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun May 8 04:39:20 PDT 2011

Peter Alexander:

> Some select figures for languages used to solve the first question:
>
> C++	5032
> Java	2321
> C#	628
> C	532
> Haskell	100
> Clojure	13
> GO	13
> D	5
> Scheme	5

The third most used language is Python.

> (In previous 3 years, D had between 2-4 entries for the first question,
> so not much change, despite total contestant counts increasing quite
> dramatically)

But a person from Japan has used D to be among the top ten, this is good:
http://www.go-hero.net/jam/11/name/hos.lyric

The first, second and third persons are using the most used language, second most used and third most used (C++, Java, Python) :-)

> Obviously you can't draw too many conclusions from this alone, but more
> data is always better. Take what you will from it.

>From those numbers it looks like D isn't gaining mindshare, unfortunately. Go too doesn't look to receive much attention. On the other hand C# seems appreciated, even if much lass than Python.
Among the supported languages there is Cobol and Fortran, and many others, but I don't see Ada.

Bye,
bearophile