Implementing std.log

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon May 9 08:37:34 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-09 08:52, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 5/7/11 3:43 PM, Jose Armando Garcia wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> For the past couple of days I took the liberty of partially
>> implementing a logging module for D.
> [snip]
>
> Nice work. Also thanks for contacting me offline.
>
> As I mentioned I'd already decided I'll take a stab at implementing a
> logging module inspired in design from glog. I was tired of the endless
> discussions on what a logging API should look like. This ironically is
> leading now to an embarrassment of riches - we now have two proposals on
> the table. I subjectively prefer mine for the simple reason that it
> includes exactly what I wanted from a logging subsystem with a light
> syntax.
>
> The documentation is at
> http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_log.html.
>
> The source code is at http://erdani.com/log.d, with informative title
> only; to compile the code you'd need some changes in std.format as well
> (I extended the positional parameter syntax to allow ranges of
> positions). Todos include slight refactoring to avoid bloat in generated
> code per call, OS portability (I only tested on OSX), and getting
> threading right by fixing the shared-related compiler bugs.
>
> Looking forward to more discussion of the matter.
>

> Andrei

Isn't the name of the log file a little too verbose? Don't know if I'm
missing something but this doesn't seem so useful for long running
application that use logging. As far as I know you usually have one log
file per application and outputs the message along with the level and
date and time.

--
/Jacob Carlborg