Implementing std.log

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon May 9 10:14:04 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-09 17:49, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 5/9/11 10:37 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Isn't the name of the log file a little too verbose? Don't know if I'm
>> missing something but this doesn't seem so useful for long running
>> application that use logging. As far as I know you usually have one log
>> file per application and outputs the message along with the level and
>> date and time.
>
> I did what glog does. Going forward, there is a private static string
> for formatting file names using positional parameters. In the future I'm
> considering providing an API for changing that format string, which
> means the log file format will be user-definable. (Same about the format
> of individual messages - see the string constants fileNameFormat and
> format toward the top of log.d.) Positional parameters look a bit odd
> but they are quite flexible.
>
> Andrei

I don't think the positional parameters are odd (C# has them with
another syntax and Tango uses the same syntax as C#), I think they're
very usable. Although the syntax you've chosen looks a little odd to me.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the $ in front of the number instead
of behind, since the % is in front.

--
/Jacob Carlborg