Making D Lang More easy.

Matthew Ong ongbp at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 06:41:25 PDT 2011

Hi All,

Recently I have been looking into another alternative programming
language to Java 1.6 and C++:

I narrowed downed to 2: Google Go and D Programming.
Preference has been given to D compare to Go for a few reasons like
more keywords than java(superset) and supports build in

I also downloaded the http://d-ide.sourceforge.net/.
This IDE is small foot print and tries to be like visual studio.
Why not someone in D consider porting this to a more mature IDE like:

SharpDevelop
http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx
Or
NetBeans or Eclipse
Instead of re-inventing the wheel?

1) D is a feature rich and seems to generate a really small file size
foot print for both *.dll and *.exe (Nice!!) compare to Google Go.

2) D Supports Interface and Class inheritance. (Nice!!)
   However I seems to have problem to model something like this in D:

   public class MyException extends Exception implements
SomeInterface{
   }

   I tried:
   class MyException : Exception, SomeInterface{ // << That cause
compilation error. Why??? How to work around or solution?
   }

   This allow me to move some of my library that I have build in java
into D without much remodeling and refactoring lots of code. (Really
nice!!!) compare to google go which build around a entirely different
object modeling concept. (That concepts sounded good and uses a lot of
interfaces and . Like java.sql.*)

3) As D seems to have direct support to C API which make direct OS
resource access and writing cool OS level tool a really nice work.
Have not tried anything yet, but seems to be more matured than Google
Go.

4) Is there also a Code formatting tool like:
   gofmt Gofmt formats Go programs. // That save me a lot to time.
   The Netbeans and eclipse has this build in feature.

5) import std.stdio; // The imports seems to be more complex to use
than java's import. There should be a tool to help resolved this and
also makes the order of importing of not important like in java.

6) Is there some build in source code checking command like:
 govet
http://golang.org/cmd/

7) How about unit test, is there a library like junit or cppunit
   is there something similar that can allow code to be profile,
tested and validated?

May I also ask, does the compiler and linker highlight the unused
import to the user so that they can be removed from source code.

The have experienced with C++ and C since back in the turbo c dos day
and Java. D seems to be promising. Overall nice and good. But can be
improved more to simplified coding cycle.