Making D Lang More easy.

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Wed May 11 11:43:35 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 11:27 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/11/2011 7:48 AM, Matthew Ong wrote:
> > Btw, any benchmark done officially comparing google go/java/D?
>
> We don't do official benchmarks because of the bad feeling and accusations of of
> manipulation they inevitably engender.

I have some rather more anecdotal than experimental benchmarks for a
couple of classes of problem covering a large number of languages.  What
is the information OP is after?

The summary I have is that D is faster than Go which is faster than Java
in some circumstance for some problems.  Conversely the reverse is also
true for different problems.

Of course source development and evolution time is a different metric
and D and Go win hands down over Java, but then so does Groovy. And
indeed Python.

I guess the overall summary is that OP's "any benchmark done officially
comparing" is a complete underspecification of the parameters of
comparison.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk