Making D Lang More easy.

Jesse Phililps jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Wed May 11 14:35:42 PDT 2011

Your points have been covered by others, but in general they are a little confusing. You're making statements about things that just aren't true or shouldn't be true for D. I'm going to request you try and elaborate what you mean. And recap some information.

Matthew Ong Wrote:

> I also downloaded the http://d-ide.sourceforge.net/.
> This IDE is small foot print and tries to be like visual studio.
> Why not someone in D consider porting this to a more mature IDE like:
>
> SharpDevelop
> http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx
> Or
> NetBeans or Eclipse
> Instead of re-inventing the wheel?

Writing something from scratch is a lot of fun and can be easier, especially when you think everyone else is doing it wrong.

There are integration projects for Eclipse and Visual Studio too.

> 2) D Supports Interface and Class inheritance. (Nice!!)
>    However I seems to have problem to model something like this in D:
>    I tried:
>    class MyException : Exception, SomeInterface{ // << That cause
> compilation error. Why??? How to work around or solution?
>    }

This should work with the exception that you will have to implement the interface functions. What compiler error are you getting?
> 4) Is there also a Code formatting tool like:
>    gofmt Gofmt formats Go programs. // That save me a lot to time.
>    The Netbeans and eclipse has this build in feature.

Nope. D is very close to C so you can probably use ident, it has enough options it should be able to do whatever you want it to.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/indent

> 5) import std.stdio; // The imports seems to be more complex to use
> than java's import. There should be a tool to help resolved this and
> also makes the order of importing of not important like in java.

What do you mean order matters?

On the compilation side of things D is more complicated in that dmd must be told where ever file being compiled is located and won't go looking for it. rdmd however does come with dmd and will do this search for you.

> 6) Is there some build in source code checking command like:
>  govet
> http://golang.org/cmd/

Nope.

> 7) How about unit test, is there a library like junit or cppunit
>    is there something similar that can allow code to be profile,
> tested and validated?

As others/Walter mentioned. unttest blocks are part of the language, along with contracts. dmd has profile and coverage switches.

> May I also ask, does the compiler and linker highlight the unused
> import to the user so that they can be removed from source code.

No. Though the linker should not compile unused code into the executable. A common view is this should be handled by your IDE.

> The have experienced with C++ and C since back in the turbo c dos day
> and Java. D seems to be promising. Overall nice and good. But can be
> improved more to simplified coding cycle.

D needs much better tool support, especially for the Application developers. But in some places it is just different.