Comparing double and float values

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Thu May 12 03:23:45 PDT 2011

Matthew Ong wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Is there anyway to ensure the comparison of float/double to be done with the raw
> bits like in Java
> Double.doubleToRawLongBits(double value)
>
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Double.html#doubleToRawLongBits%28double%29
>
> when it comes to financial data and percentage computation, that seems to be
> rather important.
>
> Thanks in advance.

That's sounds a bit odd to me. I thought that in application code you
should never compare floating points regarding equality. I only know of
something similar in testing code where you compare equality within some
number of ulps (unit of least precision). So your use case sounds
interesting. Can you elaborate a bit?
If you really want to to compare bit by bit it should be possible to
cast the floating point values and then perform the comparison.

Jens