Making D Lang More easy.

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Thu May 12 04:19:17 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 10:31 +0000, Matthew Ong wrote:
> @Dr Russel Winder:
>
> The summary I have is that D is faster than Go which is faster than Java
> in some circumstance for some problems.  Conversely the reverse is also
> true for different problems.
> -------------------------------------
>
> Performace over java with D/Go that for sure. I have narrowed down to this 2 as
> written in my first posting. There is no JVM. How about C# any useful data?

CLR is just Microsoft's version of JVM but altered so as to avoid law
suits. I think JVM optimization has had more work done than CLR
optimization so I would expect Java code to beat C# code for the same
problem on the same hardware.

Generally for large computations Go is currently slower than Java but D
is much faster than either, and C++ and C faster still.  Fortran beats
all.

The JVM is not a barrier to performance, indeed there is some data to
show that dynamic optimization can lead to faster code than static
optimization.  Do not assume "bytecode interpreter means slow", just in
time compilation can give lie to this.

> >but then so does Groovy. And indeed Python.
> Groovy, Python, JRuby, Mirah. They are not compile time type checking.
> They are strong for writing limited scope like to replace jsp/php...
> Because of that, the large scale programming needs to have some sort of compile
> time type checking to minimized the runtime casting error.
>

> Do u have the sample code for a typical data access of, kindly please email to:
>
> ongbp at yahoo.com

I put my little experimental codes in microbenchmarking in Bazaar
branches accessible on my web site.  Note this is microbenchmarking with
all the hassles that go with it.  Especially when using JITs.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk