Builtin regex (Was: How to complex switch?)

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Fri May 13 07:25:59 PDT 2011

On 13/05/2011 05:14, Ary Manzana wrote:
> How about making regex a built-in feature with this syntax: /regex/ ?
>
> I didn't use regex a lot before I started using Ruby. The thing is, in
> Ruby it's so easy to use regex that I just started using them a lot more
> than before. Of course, ruby has built-in operators for matching regexs,
> so maybe that should also be added to the language (it's the =~
> operator, but in D it should be a different one.)

Regex is ugly, impossible to maintain/debug and slow for anything mildly
complicated - a handwritten parser is magnitudes faster, and easy to
understand, maintain and debug. If it's simple, you may as well write a
couple of extra lines and have it be a lot faster.

Just my opinion of course, I know you're bound to disagree :>

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/