Best build tool for D projects

Eric Poggel (JoeCoder) dnewsgroup2 at yage3d.net
Fri May 13 13:11:29 PDT 2011

On 5/13/2011 1:38 PM, Chris Molozian wrote:
> After all this preamble I guess what I'm asking is... what (if any)
> cross-platform build tools does everyone use with their D projects? Any
> feedback on experiences with any of the build tools I've mentioned is
> also greatly appreciated. If you can suggest any alternatives, please do.

I'm certainly biased because I wrote it, but I use cdc for all of my D
building.  At one point it was working with dmd1, dmd2, gdc1, and ldc on
windows and linux (I don't own a mac) with tango or phobos.  But it's
been a while since I've tested it.

http://dsource.org/projects/cdc

It accepts the same arguments and works the same as dmd except it also
accepts folder names for arguments, compiling in all .d files it finds
there.  And it's a single file, making it script friendly.  You can do
something like this:

dmd -run cdc.d project_folder -of../bin/myproject.exe

cdc.d also has a nicely organized api for easily creating your own build
script.  I use this with Yage for building derelict into a lib in order
to reduce compilation time.  See the main function in this file.  The
rest is unmodified from the cdc project:

http://dsource.org/projects/yage/browser/trunk/build/buildyage.d